Celine Dion’s 7-Pound Wedding Headpiece Made of 2000 Swarovski Crystals Landed Her in the Hospital – Brides

2 minutes, 57 seconds Read

When Celine Dion tied the knot with her late husband, René Angélil, on December 17, 1994, the “My Heart Will Go On” singer went to great lengths to make a statement in her wedding getup—so much so that one of her accessories landed her in the hospital. In a video interview with Vogue on April 24, 2024, the Grammy Award-winning artist revealed that her seven-pound headpiece, which was reportedly covered in 2,000 Swarovski crystals, was sewn into her head on the day of her nuptials to ensure that the tall, heavy adornment wouldn’t fall off. Dion explained that at the time, she thought she could manage it. “When you’re happy, there is no weight, there’s no problem, there’s no pain,” she shared as her reasoning. 

Key Takeaways

  • Celine Dion said in a recent interview with “Vogue” that the headpiece she wore on her wedding day had to be sewn into her head.
  • The tall, heavy, sequin-studded accessory didn’t bother her during the celebration, but she woke up the following day with a large bump on her head.
  • She had to pay a visit to the doctor, who prescribed her antibiotics for three weeks.

Once she made her entrance at Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal on her big day, however, her confidence was tested. “I start to walk, and I go like, ‘Am I gonna make it? Am I going to make it to my future husband?’” she recounted. “But like I said, ‘I’m going to run to you.’ I did.” For the rest of the celebration, Dion was blinded by the toll the headpiece took on her. “So all night, all great, people [were] happy, but when we removed the tiara, I had a cut, because the pressure was too much,” she admitted.

The morning after she officially became Angélil’s wife, Dion woke up and found a bump “the size of an egg in the middle of my forehead,” she revealed. The pain was so intense that she said she started to go cross-eyed. Since she was now married to Angélil, the “I’m Alive” singer recalled joking to her new husband that he had no other choice but to put up with her and her mishaps. “It’s too late now—we’re married,” she quipped to him at the time. After paying a visit to the doctor, the musician was put on antibiotics for three weeks. 

Even though the injury was less than ideal, Dion said she doesn’t regret anything from her wedding day. She even admitted that as a testament to her love for her late husband—whom she was married to for 22 years before he died from throat cancer in 2016—she would have worn an even more elaborate, over-the-top headpiece and wedding dress. “This is a moment that will be with me for the rest of my life,” she gushed. “The dress couldn’t have been big enough. I could’ve had three times the size on my head. I could’ve had six different dresses that night because he was—and still is—such a wonderful human being. He brought [out] the best in me—he really did.”

Although Dion swore she would have worn a more intricate, eye-catching ensemble, the one she donned by Mirella and Steve Gentile for her nuptials certainly made its mark. When the former bride walked down the aisle 30 years ago, she was clad in a princess-worthy A-line gown, featuring hand-sewn lace and crystals, French silk, and a 19-foot train, which took 1,000 hours to create and allegedly cost $25,000.

This post was originally published on this site

Similar Posts