loading...

Over 100 Guests Became Violently Sick With Food Poisoning After Eating Dessert at a Wedding in Mexico – Brides

1 minute, 56 seconds Read

If food safety wasn’t at the top of your summer wedding priority list already, it will be after you read this: Over 100 wedding guests, including children, became violently ill on-site after the dessert course at a celebration in Cuernavaca, Mexico, reports the Daily Mail—and it was so bad, that paramedics were called to the scene. Footage taken at the wedding, which unfolded on Saturday, April 27, 2024, and later posted to TikTok showed several attendees receiving medical attention shortly after midnight; in these clips, EMTs assisted several women, who were hunched over while sitting outside in a lounge section, and got severely ill guests into ambulances for transport. The footage quickly went viral and currently has upwards of 1.7 million views.

Mexico news outlet Azteca Noticias reported that, as of Monday, several wedding guests remained hospitalized. And although they had already identified the catering company—Grupo Paraíso, which also offers wedding planning services—that provided the event’s food and drink, it is still unknown what type of dessert caused the mass medical emergency.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time this month that food poisoning has ruined a couple’s wedding. In Gujarat, India, just last week, more than 250 attendees fell ill after consuming a dish with spoiled buttermilk. Similar to the incident in Mexico, members from emergency services were called to the scene to provide care at the venue after an alarming amount of people began experiencing food poisoning symptoms, including vomiting and diarrhea, at the party. So many guests had to be transported and admitted to the village hospital that the emergency room ran out of beds, forcing guests to sleep on benches or on the floor. As of April 19, 2024, several people were still hospitalized and receiving treatment.

According to the Daily Mail, a similar incident unfolded in June 2023, when 100 people, including the groom, simultaneously became sick during a wedding meal held outside of Mexico City. The following month, in Salamanca, Spain, nearly 40 guests succumbed to food poisoning, resulting in one death. As we approach the summer wedding season, when food is commonly placed outdoors in hot temperatures, it’s more important than ever to guarantee food safety; your caterer should be certified to handle food for crowds and in all conditions and be well versed in safe food handling methods, per the USDA.

This post was originally published on this site

Similar Posts