loading...

Wedding Guest Died After Choking on Steak During Reception, Coroner Finds – PEOPLE

2 minutes, 15 seconds Read

Five months after his death, a coroner has determined that a man in Ireland died after a piece of steak got lodged in his throat during a wedding reception.

Coroner Isobel O’Dea confirmed to PEOPLE that 67-year-old Brendan Glynn died as a result of impaction of the larynx.

According to the Daily Mirror, the steak was a part of the main course served at a reception held at the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point, Ireland, on Friday, Dec. 22.

stock image of steak.

Getty


The outlet reported that Glynn had three pints before the meal with fellow guest John Murphy, who said he “seemed fine” afterward.

Murphy recalled seeing Glynn “in good form” and “chatting away” before the incident. He noted that Glynn “had been having beef” before the main course and “did not give any impression that he had been in any difficulty in any way,” per the Daily Mirror.

According to the outlet, Murphy said that the people sitting at their table knew something was wrong with Glynn after he wasn’t moving, and there “appeared to be a liquid coming from the side of his mouth.”

Stock image of a wedding reception table.

Getty


“His eyes were open – I used a cloth to clean the side of Brendan’s mouth. The whole table at the wedding knew something was wrong at this stage. Brendan just sat there motionless and unresponsive,” recalled Murphy, per the outlet.

After off-duty nurses and paramedics attending the wedding attempted CPR, Glynn continued to have “no pulse and wasn’t breathing.”

According to the Daily Mirror, while Pat McCarthy, an emergency physician, arrived at 8:05 p.m and managed to remove “a large chunk of beef” from Glynn’s airway, he was later pronounced dead at 8.45 pm.

Stock image of an ambulance.

Getty


The outlet reported that Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margot Bolster noted in her post-mortem findings that “a number of large chunks of steak obstructing the larynx were removed by medical personnel from the airways” of Glynn.

Bolster said that Glynn “had been eating steak, his face went blue, and he slumped over,” per the outlet.

The Mayo Clinic states on its website that choking symptoms include a look of “panic, shock or confusion,” “strained or noisy” breathing, and “squeaky sounds” when trying to breathe.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

“If you’re the only rescuer, give back blows and abdominal thrusts first. Then call 911 or your local emergency number for help. If another person is there, have that person call for help while you give first aid,” the medical center advises.

This post was originally published on this site

Similar Posts